About the Role
As an Audio Engineer at Audoo, you will be reporting directly into our CTO and will be joining a small, agile engineering team. You will be responsible for developing, iterating and maintaining our audio processing software and algorithms for our smart audio meter.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, handling incoming microphone signals and developing algorithms for the audio processing stages that feed into our Music Recognition Technology (MRT). As the device evolves, there will be opportunities to undertake R&D projects both in-house and alongside academic partners. The aim would be to explore existing and new innovative technologies that could improve the current system.
You will be utilising the best language for the job – currently a mix of Python and C/C++ whilst working closely with our development team of software engineers, hardware engineers and third-party partners. You will produce lightweight technical documentation to ensure what you are building is understood and usable by others as our business grows.
You will be passionate about three things… Technology, Music and Changing the World!
You will be an inquisitive, creative and hands-on individual willing to solve problems and explore new technologies. Ideally, you will have a strong foundation and experience with audio systems, acoustics and signal processing.Previous experience in audio R&D would help to explore emerging areas of innovation such as machine learning applications to audio and/or music information retrieval (MIR).
We are a small, fast paced team so you need to be able to work in a dynamic environment that values clear communication and happy to work autonomously.
Must have skills and experience
- MSc or PhD in Acoustics, Audio Engineering or something similar such as Music Technology
- Expertise in the foundations of audio systems and signal processing
- Experience with modelling, developing and testing audio processing algorithms
- Expertise in Python and C / C++ (within a Linux Environment would be desirable)
- Commercial experience as an audio software developer
- Knowledge or keen interest in Machine Learning applications for audio processing and classification
- Knowledge or keen interest in Music Information Retrieval and related technologies
- Ability to work collaboratively with all areas of the business and coordinate with third-party partners as and when required
- Ability to thrive at a start-up – investigating, defining and experimenting to build high-quality, tested and engaging software as well as identifying activities that sit outside of your primary role requirements
- A keen eye for detail, not just in development, but when creating supporting technical documentation as well
- Ability to occasionally work outside on normal office hours to support globally distributed fleet.
Bonus skills and experience
- Linux Audio (ALSA & JACK)
- Audio product development from conception to production
- Experience with audio hardware and microphone arrays
- Experience of working with external partners and academia
- Start-up experience
- Passion for the music industry!
Although this is a predominantly remote role, some travel in and around the UK on a monthly basis may be required.