About the Role
As an Embedded Engineer at Audoo, you will be reporting directly into our CTO and will be joining a small, agile engineering team. You will be responsible for developing robust, testable and efficient embedded software for our smart audio meter, utilising the best language for the job – currently a mix of Python and C/C++. You will make iterative improvements to get the most value delivered first and work closely with our development team of software engineers, hardware engineers and 3rd party partners. You will be expected to work on the whole lifecycle, from understanding, clarifying or defining requirements to implementing, testing and code reviews. You will produce lightweight technical documentation to ensure what you are building is understood and usable by others as our business grows.
You will be joining a small agile team that is on a mission to bring about a music royalty revolution!
You will be passionate about three things… Technology, Music and Changing the World! You will be an inquisitive, creative and quality obsessed individual. We are a small, fast paced team so you need to be able to work in a dynamic environment that values clear communication and happy to work autonomously. Any previous experience working on audio technology would be highly preferable but not essential. The main function of this role is to ensure that our smart audio meter runs securely and autonomously, utilising minimal resources to provide years of service with minimal interaction. You will need both the knowledge and experience to know which technology to use when and why in order to produce the fastest and most efficient results.
Must have skills and experience
- Commercial experience as an Embedded Linux Developer
- Expertise in Python, C & C++ within a Linux Environment
- Embedded Linux (e.g. knowledge of how to build a kernel)
- Experience of Yocto or Build Root Build systems
- Experience in manipulating, building & using Linux Drivers
- Shell/Bash Scripts
- Linux Security Awareness
- Ability to work collaboratively with all areas of the business and coordinate with 3rd party partners as and when is needed
- Ability to thrive at a start-up – investigating, defining and experimenting to build high-quality, tested and engaging software as well as identifying activities that sit outside of your primary role requirements
- A keen eye for detail, not just in development, but when creating supporting technical documentation as well
- Ability to occasionally work outside on normal office hours to support globally distributed fleet.
Bonus skills and experience
- Previous experience of working with external contracting electronics design firms
- Linux Audio (ALSA & JACK)
- Cloud API Integrations
- Use of Websockets
- Containerisation (Docker)
- Ansible & Other OTA Update experience
- Start-up experience
- Passion for the music industry!
Although this is a predominantly remote role, some travel in and around the UK on a monthly basis may be required.
As and when international travel to potential manufacturing partners may also be required.